Subject: Foreign Language A2.1 German

Scientific Area:



64 Hours

Number of ECTS:




Overall objectives:

1 - This course consolidates the elementary knowledge of German language. The course will enable students to achieve Level A2.1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. This subject teaches students how to deal in German with everyday situations, understand simple texts, and produce simple oral and written texts. Students will infer grammar rules in a contrastive manner and will be made aware of language use and usage. Texts - in the broadest sense of the term - will be used, which allow the achievement of the general and specific objectives stated: authentic texts, texts written by the teacher and by the students, texts from teaching books. By the end of the semester, students will be able to:
1.1 - Communicate in everyday situations.
1.2 - Exchange and share information about known issues.
1.3 - Name their origin/background and training using basic language.
1.4 - Describe in simple terms aspects of their background, close environment and matters in areas of immediate need.


1 - Autonomous work on lessons 6 and 7 of Dimensionen 2, and 3, 4, and 5 of studio d A2.
2 - Topics: the world, the continents, language and instructions in the classroom, the colours, advertising slogans, relationships between different countries, travelling, texts from travel guides, leisure activities, "literary journeys", a tourism fair, the media, interviews, invention of different stories, newspaper articles, sign-language ...
3 - Grammar: Genitiv, indefinite articles and pronouns, reflexive pronouns, adverbs of time, place, and manner, verbs followed by prepositions, verb complements and adverbials, word order in a sentence, consolidation of (in)separable verbs, verb complements with case (Akkusativ-, Dativ- und Genitivergänzung), declension of adjectives, (Nominativ, Akkusativ, Genitiv und Dativ), subordinate clauses (with ob, indirect questions with W-Pronomen), the sounds /s/, /r/, answer particles (Satzgefüge): ja, nein, doch, gern ...
4 - Working with authentic supplementary material in the fields of Culture and Communication.
5 - Preparation for the oral test.


E. M. Jenkins et al. , 2003 , Dimensionen 2. Lernstationen 2 , Hueber Verlag
H. Funk et al. , 2010 , Studio d A2 Deutsch als Fremdsprache, Kurs- und Übungsbuch , Cornelsen

Assesssment methods and criteria:

Classification Type: Quantitativa (0-20)

Evaluation Methodology:
Students work in lessons mainly in the following different ways: individual work, pair work and group work. Students also have to speak to the rest of the class when they have to inform them about their pair work or group work. The evaluation will reflect the methodological duplicity of instruction and stimulus in the case of an autonomous learning according to individual interests and needs. The rules of the evaluation regulation of University of Madeira (Model B): - Attendance to at least 80% of the course (compulsory). - Assessment consists of two partial exams (each 40%) and one oral test (20%). - Students with "normal" status (N) will be admitted to the appeal season, as long as they meet the conditions to retake or to improve the partial exam with the lowest mark (40%). - Students with "worker" status (T - estudante trabalhador) can retake both partial exams (80%) in the appeal season. - The other evaluation component (20%) cannot be retaken or improved in the appeal season.